7.17.2013

First 5k

Ok... does a 5k sound more impressive than what it actually is? The reality that it is just over 3 miles seems not so very exciting/accomplished, but I find it a great feat for me! The run was put on by our church's stake for all the Young Women and Relief Society sisters

It all started a few months ago. My sister texted me an idea she had: we get up at 5am (she works at 7am), go for a run, and go back to our respective houses. She lives 1 1/2 miles away from me, so she had a longer run, but this girl is an awesome runner. To go running with her was intimidating, but I surprised her and said Let's do this! We were both pleasantly surprised how much we loved our early morning runs. Such a beautiful and peaceful time of day. I haven't ran (like, a real run) in yeeears and am out of shape. Don't let my bean-pole exterior fool you ;) I could only last 1 1/2 miles... pathetic, but I was super proud of myself. My goal was to work it up and be ready for the 5k. A little over a month ago, I got sick with a cold. I tried to run through it once, and it didn't work. So we took a break so I could get better. I got better, we got an evening run in (was so nice to go running again!), and a few days later I caught a cold James had and it turned into a wicked sinus infection. I literally could not breathe for two weeks. Awful. Needless to say, running was once again put on the back burner until I could get better (thank you, antibiotics!). Unfortunately, the date of the 5k was looming closer. We didn't get to run together until the 5k. While we had planned on running it, we ran/walked it. I want to say we ran 2/3 of it... so not bad!
Pumped for our run!
  

 Finished!
It was a beautiful run and am so happy we did it! I'm planning on doing more 5k's and a 10k either next year or year after.

4 comments:

  1. Our shirts are so fluorescent! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for you and early morning runs!!! I love running in the mornings and can't wait to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Rachel are cute! I will go on a run with you any time. Rachel works with my neighbor and he says she is so sweet. If you ever need help with the boys, ask Jillian to come over; she'd love it!

    ReplyDelete