11.16.2007

My Method of Venting

This past week has been... interesting... interestingly difficult for me. In all honesty the last few months have held many frustrations stemming from only one frustrating encounter. I have been given SOOO many tools from my counselor on how to deal with stress and anxiety and the events/people/places that cause this for me. But I totally forgot about a tool I have had for many years (and utilized) until this last week. That tool is the piano.
I've played piano for years, but I haven't really put a whole lot of effort into it in a few years. This past Monday, I was stressed. And rightly so. I handled it the best I could (and continue to handle it), but I just couldn't shake some things. I've been asked to play some prelude music this upcoming Sunday, so I decided to actually practice! Good thing, too, because I'm pretty rusty!! Anyhow, on Wednesday I was finally able to go practice. Wow- did it feel good!
I have to go to the church to practice because my piano is in Utah, so I get to play on the grand. I know, I know... poor me. :) I had the top down because I didn't want anyone coming in to hear my messing up. I warmed up with a few hymns, and I started one where I was able to play REALLY loudly. My goodness, it felt so great to play that song and play as hard as I wanted to. I just felt all my tension seeping out of me. After I finished the song, I got up and raised the piano top a bit so I could hear it better. I totally forgot how much I love to play piano!! It was like I got to rediscover this lost part of me that is a HUGE part of me! I played a few more hymns and moved on to my prelude piece. I chose "Lead Kindly Light" for Sunday, mostly because it is my favorite hymn. The words are absolutely beautiful. I was butchering it something bad last week. But I think I finally stopped judging myself so harshly and I didn't completely butcher it! I loved it! I even called Brad on his way home from work and made him listen to it on speakerphone! He couldn't really hear it though. But still... I was finally happy with piano again.
I'm so grateful I have refound piano! I am dedicating myself to it almost every day. It works wonders on my stress level, which is what I need right now. I felt so great and had let go of so many things just by playing for a little over an hour. In Doctrine and Covenants 60: 2,13 it talks about hiding your talents. I am not hiding this anymore. Though you may never hear me say I play well (because I really don't), I'm not going to deny I play it. I may not be perfect at it, or anywhere near it, but at least I can play. That is all that matters to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment