8.28.2017

A Dip

Mermaid Beach from the Buccaneer
We are emerging from some not so fun things that happened around here. 

I mentioned in my last post their horrible sunburns. Yeah... ended up being second-degree sunburns for Jack and Gav. Mom fail. Took over a week to heal. 

While the sunburns were healing and we were avoiding the sun like vampires, the boys also had some bug bites that just wouldn't heal. I figured they were just scratching too hard and we needed to find a way to calm the itch. We covered them up with band-aids, figuring a reprieve from little fingers and some Neosporin would do the trick. Nope. Jack's even multiplied and spread after a night with a band-aid on. Now they were not bug bites, they were freaking bulbous (i know, such a pretty picture in  your head). And they kept getting more! After a few days and it being obvious this was bigger than normal first aid, I called the doctor's office. Booked. And the only walk-in clinic I knew was about to close. No Urgent Care around and I'd rather not go to a hospital here from what I've been reading. This was a Saturday. So I hunkered down with the boys on Sunday and waited till Monday morning. Diagnosis- impetigo. What the heck is that?? It is a bacterial infection of the skin that is highly contagious (you're welcome, church congregation, for not going to church. eesh!) and is due to the high humidity. You need an antibiotic to get rid of it, oral or cream. We were so lucky to get both because that is just how bad it was for these boys. Luckily, after a few days, they were starting to clear up. Thank heavens.

Let's add in the fact that in those two weeks we also had about 4 power outages. And our fridge is on the fritz so that every time the power goes out, the cooling system takes anywhere from 4 to 32 hours to come back on after it's all better. We had to throw out so much food on the 32 hour delay...

Not going to lie, this took a toll on me and the good attitude I had about living here. Now that things are back to normal and we can get out and enjoy the island, I'm recouping what I lost. I know I should have had a better attitude. This next month I'll be focusing on bettering myself, to make time for me so I can be better for others, to work on my spirituality so I can find more peace. I can already feel it working and hope I don't give up on this like I do so many other things. Form the habit and then it'll be another part of our beautiful life.
 Eclipsed Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment