6.30.2014

The Dirty Dash

Oh. My. Gosh. Seriously, if you do any race that is more for fun than running, please do a mud run. Please. It is so much dang fun. My sister, Rach, and I had talked before about doing a color run, but in January I saw that the Dirty Dash was coming to Eugene and if you signed up early, you got a pretty good deal. It was an easy decision- heck yes. The day of our dash finally came this last Saturday and it did not disappoint!

 Caution: Wide-Ass Turns... couldn't resist
The race was a 6k (so 3.7ish miles) and was held at Mount Pisgah, the south part of our city. Thinking it was late June and later in the day might be hot, we signed up for the 9:40 wave. Well, the lovely Pacific Northwest weather decided to rear its head this week and it's been chilly and rainy all week. Extra muddy, right?! No complaints, just made it a little chillier than anticipated :) We got there early and just felt the excitement... and took pictures. Finally it was our turn! There is a mud pit right at the start and people kept climbing down to smear mud on themselves while we waited to go. We just laughed- there was going to be plenty of time to get muddy, people! Just too tempting, I guess. Our time came and we all went. So many people! The race had haystacks to climb and jump down from, trenches of mud to hurdle, walls to jump over, pipes to crawl through, pipes to duck under, rope walls and a water slide, shooting mud pit, tire hopping, mud pits to slosh through, and so much more. 
And WE'RE OFF!
Poor Rachel had someone really splashy in front of her and kept getting mud in the face
Grooving through the foam
Rach couldn't resist tossing some foam at me
These inflatable hurtles were harder than they looked
So dang graceful...
The boys had gone with me to pick up our race packets the day before and I told them we were doing a mud run. I asked them if they would want a muddy hug from me and all of them said, "YEAH!" Well, I don't think they realized how muddy mommy was going to be because they wouldn't come within three feet of me!  Thank heavens, because I really didn't want to have them muddy as well!
I had wanted to slide down this, but it wasn't wet or steep enough for me to. So run we did :)
Get some good air...
... and end with a splash!
Last mud pit
Rachel seriously had to push my bum to get out of this pit. So dang slippery
Down...
Down...
Doooown we went into the mud pit
FINISHED!

We both got beat up a bit (my right shins and ankle got the brunt of it and am sporting some good bruises), but it was so worth it. So so worth it. We're back to talking about a color run... or maybe another mud run. Or who knows, maybe both. 
As much fun as the race was, I know going with my sister definitely added to the excitement and the fun. It made it special. I'm so grateful for a sister who goes along with me and understands my physical limits. She pushes me but also makes me realize it's ok to not push all the time. Special thanks to the man behind the photos, Rach's boyfriend Thomas. He was awesome and came early with us and followed us around the course taking all these amazing pictures. I can't stop looking at them, just smiling and laughing at the wonderful time we had. Can't wait for the next race!

6 comments:

  1. That's so fun that you got to do that with your sister! I HATE being dirty, so I don't think I would enjoy it, but I'm glad you did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so awesome that you two did this. And i'm strangely proud of both of you for doing it, dunno why, but i am. Love ya sis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Craig. Love you too :) For reals, I'm foreseeing a sibling run in our future... let's make it happen

      Delete
  3. Way to go squirrels! I agree with Craig...proud of you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome!! Loved all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete