1.27.2008

We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet

President Gordon B. Hinckley- June 23, 1910- January 27, 2008
I remember being in Primary when President Benson died, and shortly thereafter President Hunter died. President Hinckley was our new prophet. That was in 1995, I was in the 5th grade. He has been such a great example to me in my life. I just wanted to share my feelings on this wonderful man.
My freshman year at BYU-Idaho the Gordon B. Hinckley building was fully constructed. It was the first building on the campus to be named after a living person. They announced that President Hinckley would be coming to dedicate the building and hold a devotional. Everyone was on BYU-I's website the night the ticket seats were released. I didn't realize how difficult it would be to get one, let alone trying to get multiple ones for friends. I count my blessings that I was able to get onto the server and order a ticket for myself. I found out when I got to the Hinckley building that devotional day, I had one of the last seats in the actual room he would be speaking in. I remember that day so well. It was the first time I was in the same room as a prophet. He had such a beautiful message. I still have my ticket and read my journal entry of that day often. His devotional that day increased my testimony so much.
I know that President Hinckley was a prophet of God, and that he communed with Him daily. He did such an amazing work for our people, having over 100 temples constructed in 12 years. I am so sad that we will not have him as our leader, but I am so grateful that he and his wife get to be reunited once again. I know that President Monson will lead our church and guide us in these trying days. Our time here on earth is in the Lord's hands, and I know this was the time for President Hinckley to say good-bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment